- What are your workplace’s mission and services?
Florida International University (FIU) is an urban, multi-campus, public research university serving its students and the diverse population of South Florida. We are committed to high-quality teaching, state-of-the-art research and creative activity, and collaborative engagement with our local and global communities.
- What led you to serve or continue serving on Prospera’s Board of Directors?
As the Senior Vice President for External Relations, Strategic Communications and Marketing at FIU, I manage all internal and external strategic communications, marketing, media, public relations, protocol and special events and community relations, including oversight of Florida International University’s (FIU’s) 100+member community board, the President’s Council.
Serving on Prospera’s Board of Directors has given me an opportunity to connect and communicate with the local community and fellow Hispanic entrepreneurs who are interested in expanding their businesses, to see how we can further expand their portfolios with the resources offered at Prospera.
- Which are the three words that best describe you?
Hard working, committed and loyal
- Tell us a bit about your Hispanic background.
I came from Cuba when I was ten years old. My father was an architect and engineer and my mother was a housewife. We lived in La Vibora, Havana. I’m the youngest of four siblings. My roots are in Cuba by my heart is here in Miami where I grew-up, went to school, got married, raised my kids and now my grandchildren.
- What advice would you have appreciated hearing when first starting your career?
Take time to enjoy life.
- What is the most important lesson you’ve learned throughout your career?
Take care of those below you, they will take care of you.
- How do you achieve work/life balance?
Not easy – but doable if you’re well organized.
- How do you stay informed about trends in your industry?
Social media, media links, newspapers and magazines