H. Louis Martinez, shareholder and owner of Ruggiero, Martinez & Norton PA, has been committed to our organization since the beginning. Lou is a founding and returning member on Prospera’s Statewide Board of Directors. He has served with passion and generosity for many years, on the general Board as well as on the Executive Committee as Treasurer.
- What are your company’s mission and services?
Founded upon personal relationships and high quality, Ruggiero, Martinez and Norton, P.A. provides high-level, comprehensive and specialized tax, audit, accounting and consulting services.
- What led you to serve or continue serving on Prospera’s Board of Directors?
I have been involved in Prospera since its creation approximately 26 years ago. I believe in the American Dream, since I’m living it. It gives me great satisfaction to be able to share this dream by helping other Hispanic entrepreneurs prosper and make a better life for their families.
- Where are you originally from?
I’m Cuban and so were both of my parents.
- Which three words best describe you?
Motivated, Honest and Caring
- What advice would you have appreciated hearing when first starting your career?
To find myself a mentor that would guide me through the complexity and difficulties of selecting from various career opportunities and exploring the resources that were available.
- What is the most important lesson you’ve learned throughout your career?
Don’t let anyone pressure you into making an uneducated or quick decision. The best decisions are made when the issue is well thought out, researched and makes economic sense.
- How do you achieve work/life balance?
After my stressful busy season, I release some stress by spending time with my family at the beach. Our firm closes every Friday at noon from April 15th to the end of the year.
- How do you stay informed about trends in your industry?
The only thing constant in my Industry is “change”. Therefore, I regularly attend outside Continuing Education classes and Webinars to keep up with annual tax law changes and technology.
- Where is your favorite place to have a meeting outside of the office?
One of my favorite places is “First Watch” in Maitland. My partners and I hold a monthly breakfast there to discuss firm business.
- Which social media platform do you use most frequently?
- Can you tell us one item still on your bucket list?
Vacationing in Greece and visiting Athens, Mykonos and Santorini.